Every modern home needs high-speed internet access, but the benefits of a completely integrated home network are only now just being realized. Once a home network is installed, not only can all members of the same household share a single high-speed internet connection, but other devices such as Music Servers, Digital Video Recorders, IP Cameras, etc. can share the same infrastructure.
Once a home network is in place, it becomes the integration point for dozens of applications. The list below lists a few of the applications that BTA can implement:
- Shared High-speed Internet with a hardware firewall to protect the household from hackers, control kids’ Internet access, provide content filtering and virus protection, etc.
- Shared Network Printers – several centrally located printers usable by everyone.
- 802.11x Wireless Networking to extend the hardwired network.
- Shared SAN (Storage Area Network) Server for family music and video libraries.
- Ethernet access to Home Automation Controller.
- Streaming Music Server – an entire music collection online all the time with the ability to listen to internet radio broadcasted from locations around the world.
- IP Telephony – use the Internet for inexpensive phone calls (can be integrated into a home PBX so that it functions as a normal phone line).
- IP Cameras – view several cameras from a web browser.
Web Server – Host your own web server, or ask BTA to host it for you.
With a personal web site, you can share digital photos with your extended family. You can even create a personalized domain so that your email address will never again have to change when you change ISPs.
Computers are being seen around the house in places other than the office. Most households would benefit from a PC discreetly mounted in the kitchen that doubles as a TV, and many media rooms also have PCs in them. With a home network in place, and using shared resources such as a networked printer, computers and laptops can be located virtually anywhere in the house and still be as functional as a desktop with locally attached accessories. A core strength of BTA is building new technology into existing homes so that it looks like it was always meant to be there.
In view of all the deadly computer viruses that have been spreading lately, Weekend Update would like to remind you: when you link up to another computer, you’re linking up to every computer that that computer has ever linked up to.
— Dennis Miller SNL